PORTLAND, Ore., May 15, 2012 – Today, Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLNR), a global leader in digital display technology, unveiled a digital display box that incorporates a transparent display to create a first-of-its-kind merchandising and exhibition solution. The 32-inch Planar® LookThru™ Display Box is an enclosed showcase fronted by a clear glass surface that can display multimedia content in front of products placed inside the unit.
“Planar’s LookThru technology is the ultimate combination of digital and physical marketing and exhibition,” said Jennifer Davis, vice president of marketing for Planar Systems. “Messaging can be seamlessly integrated with the actual product, creating a whole new way to engage consumers and promote products and memorabilia in a wide variety of settings, such as the growing markets of retail, museums, sports arenas and corporate lobbies. From retail merchandising to trophy cases, from trade shows to museum exhibits, the opportunities to use the Planar LookThru are diverse and compelling.”
LookThru Ignites the Next Decade of Transparent Display Innovation
Planar developed the industry’s first transparent display in the early 2000s. The Planar LookThru Display Box extends the company’s leadership in transparent digital signage display technology, offering advantages including:
- Complete solution. Each Planar LookThru Display Box is a fully-equipped display solution, with a Planar transparent active matrix LCD which fronts the metal enclosure. Planar’s ERO™ (Extended Ruggedness and Optics™) technology provides a rugged, touch-compatible surface in front of the LCD.
- Image quality. Planar’s Ultimate Color Illumination and Contrast (UCIC™) technology enhances the transparency, image contrast and vibrancy of colors on the display. Brand managers can be assured UCIC can reproduce even the most distinctive branded hues.
- Consumer product showcase. The 32-inch box is ideal for a wide variety of products, including personal electronics, sporting goods, clothing, housewares and other consumer goods. Key messages or attributes can be highlighted on the display directly front of the merchandise. Third-party touch capabilities make it possible for customers to receive information about specific features or components by simply pointing at them on the glass panel.
- Exterior display space.The box can serve as standalone display on counters or end units. The exterior sides of the box can display complementary static signage or branding. The box comes standard in a fashion-forward white finish and is available in custom colors upon request.
- Build-a-box. With the Planar LookThru Installation Kit, custom displays, retail fixtures or kiosks can be turned into dynamic digital display boxes.
“The Planar LookThru Display Box is going to set a new standard for retail merchandising and brand experiences – the blending of digital content and actual product placement is unique,” said Gino Centofani, chief interactive officer, Vislogix, a solutions provider of next-generation interactive digital signage technologies. “We have received incredible response from our clients, including some of the world’s leading brands.”
The Planar LookThru Display Box will be available late summer 2012 through Planar’s worldwide network of authorized resellers. In addition, Planar plans to develop LookThru solutions that meet the display needs of education, museums, corporate designers, event producers and architectural firms.