Sept. 17, 2012
Glow Networks announced today the introduction of The "@GlowScreen" kit — which it said is a simple digital signage package designed to display live Twitter feeds relating to a venue or business to physical displays at locations in the real world.
The "@Glowscreen" kit is an updated version of the company's digital signage solution based on its flagship GlowStick player, a microcomputer running Android 4.0.3 (a.k.a. Ice Cream Sandwich), which turns any HDMI-compatible display into a digital sign. In this package the GlowStick is bundled together with a high-definition display and Glow Network's content management system.
The GlowStick runs without interruption and only needs power and Wi-Fi to connect to Glow Network's platform. The Twitter kit also features a choice of 22-, 24- or 27-inch CTL 1080P high-definition display.
The Twitter feed screen is customizable to display user feeds, lists, searches and hashtags. In addition to the feed, the screen displays a QR code that links to the venue's or business' Twitter page, allowing customers to connect with and follow the venue or business
Glow Networks CTO Michael Tupper said in the announcement that his company is "really excited about the launch of the '@GlowScreen' kit."
"We believe the integration of social media into our digital signage solution is not only a great opportunity for Glow Networks, but a huge opportunity for our customers to further leverage their signs and grow their venue and brand awareness," he said.
The company also said it has additional kits in the works and plans to add Foursquare, Yelp, Google Local, Google Calendar and Facebook.
Key features include:
- Adapt powerful cortex A9 1Ghz processor, Mail400, support 3D graphic, open GL ES 1.1 and 2.0
- Wi-Fi connection (802.11b/g/n)
- Full-HD 1080p playback Via HDMI output for clear images in high-definition
- Outputs Include 1 micro SD card slot, 1 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 mini USB for power, IR receiver port
- Compact size
- QR code linked to user's Twitter profile
- Expandable micro SD storage up to 32 GB
- Powerful CPU and GPU
- USB input for wireless mouse and keyboard
- Low bandwidth use at 10MB per day
- IR Remote
- 2 GB internal storage
Read more about digital signage and mobile interactivity.