Dec. 8, 2015
Global display and digital signage technology provider Planar Systems Inc. today announced that the University of Nevada Las Vegas has installed a Clarity Matrix LCD Video Wall System for a large video wall installation designed to help motivate students at the university's fitness center to get into shape as they watch programs on a giant video wall.
The installation is composed of 12 Clarity Matrix LCD video wall displays that form a six-wide by two-high video wall above the first-floor cardio area of the UNLV Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Multiple displays serve up a stream of sports, news and other television programming, engaging students and keeping them motivated as they work out using elliptical machines, treadmills and other sports equipment, the company said.
"To even those most dedicated to getting fit, a treadmill session can get boring quickly," said Erin Farrar, UNLV's director of campus recreation services, in the announcement. "So having the ability to watch a game or even a cooking show, especially on a big screen, makes the time fly by and keeps hundreds of students motivated to work out when they otherwise might not be. We love these displays as much the students do, because they make a statement about our commitment to advanced technology and bringing content and information to viewers on the very latest digital media platforms."
According to Planar, UNLV chose a Clarity Matrix LCD video wall from Planar for several key reasons:
- Ultra-narrow bezel width: A major reason UNLV selected Clarity Matrix was its ultra-narrow tiled bezel width of 3.7 millimeters, which makes the gaps between the displays almost invisible and the entire video wall virtually seamless, which is important when the focus should be on the game or programming and not on the video wall itself, the company said.
- Distributed design: Clarity Matrix has a distributed design, which allows components such as power supplies and controllers to be located in a remote rack room, which appealed to UNLV. By not having to install power outlets behind each LCD display, the university saved in labor and materials costs while achieving a faster installation time, the company said.
- Quick and precise installation: To install Clarity Matrix video wall, UNLV used the Planar EasyAxis Mounting System, which facilitated the quick and precise alignment of the 12 LCD displays that make up the video wall, the company said. The mounting system is designed to make it easy to position each LCD display in a uniform way with virtually no need for time-consuming re-positioning or fine-tuning.
- Flexibility and ease of maintenance: Scalability and serviceability were also factors in UNLV's decision. If the university wants to increase the size of its video wall, it can do so by inserting new rows or columns without the need for additional electrical infrastructure. When maintenance is needed, UNLV can easily access individual displays, from the front without dismantling the wall, making it simple to service a cable or component, the company said.
- Visual performance: Finally, UNLV appreciated Clarity Matrix for its visual performance, Planar said. Clarity Matrix delivers 800-nit brightness, a 3,500:1 contrast ratio, 1920 x 1080 resolution and a 178-degree viewing angle. In addition, the video wall can be set up so that each display shows a different television feed, or several displays show the same feed. Clarity Matrix also features LED backlight technology delivering deep blacks and improved contrast.
"The UNLV installation demonstrates why so many organizations are implementing Clarity Matrix video walls in innovative ways," said Jennifer Davis, vice president of marketing and product strategy for Planar Systems. "With its outstanding image quality, simplified installation and maintenance, and 24x7 mission-critical reliability, Clarity Matrix is the go-to solution for today's LCD video walls, whether they are used for advertising, data visualization or helping college students attain their fitness goals."