Commercial LCD display and projector solutions provider NEC Display Solutions of America recently announced the addition of an Open Pluggable Specification-compliant digital signage media player computer for integration with select NEC large-screen displays.
The OPS platform is an industry-wide standard for the design and development of digital signage to simplify installation and maintenance, NEC said in the announcement. The new internal ARM-based digital signage media player, OPS-DRD, runs an Android OS, multiple video formats and high-definition content at 1080p, and is targeted for use with all types of digital signage from static content to dynamic graphics.
"Our new digital signage media player can be easily integrated into the OPS slot on most NEC displays for multimedia playback, making an all-in-one solution easier for our customers," Ben Hardy, product manager for large-screen displays at NEC Display Solutions, said in the announcement. "With full access to the Play Store through wired and wireless network support, the OPS-DRD can be customized for any digital signage platform."
Among the key features of the OPS-DRD digital player are:
- Fanless and solid-state components, designed to make it ideal for 24/7 run times
- Built-in media player application, which can run video files via flash memory, SD Card or USB Drive
- HDMI video, stereo audio, RS232 control and power, which are all passed internally from the display to OPS device for simplified installation with no external connections required
- A powerful 1.0GHZ CPU and eight logic core graphics processors, to provide more than enough horsepower for crisp full-HD video playback
- Durable and protected industrial strength components rated for 24/7 usage
- Extra-low-power consumption for economic performance
- Full access to Google Play
- Wired and wireless networking capabilities through integrated LAN port and wireless antenna (included)
- Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 operating system
- 2GB dual channel DDR3 of RAM
- Watch Dog Timer, which self-monitors and reboots during system instability
The OPS device adapter (SB-02AM) is required for the NEC P402, P462, P552, P652, X463UN, X462UNV and X551UN displays. No OPS device adaptor is required for the NEC P403, P463, P553, P703, V323, V423, V463, V552, V652, V801, X401S, X462X and X552S displays.
The OPS-DRD media player will be available this month at an ESP of $249. It carries a three-year warranty.
Learn more about digital signage content management.