PORTLAND, Ore. – November 8, 2011- Huntsville International Airport in Huntsville, Ala. has renewed its commitment to LCD video wall technology from Planar Systems, Inc., (NASDAQ: PLNR), a worldwide leader in specialty display solutions.
For the second time in as many years, Huntsville International Airport— which served 1.2 million passengers last year — has chosen Planar’s Clarity™ Matrix LCD Video Wall System for its unique combination of superior image quality, easy-access design and reliability. The new video walls are a key part of the airport’s $92 million capital improvement program.
“No other video wall technology on the market today meets our needs as well as Planar’s Clarity Matrix,” said Betty Fletcher, chairman of the board of directors for Huntsville International Airport. “The opportunity for digital signage usage in airports continues to grow and Planar is at the forefront of understanding the technology needs of our industry. Planar shares our vision of how technology must support the airport’s goals to accommodate an increasing number of passengers and visitors and further improve airport services.”
Huntsville installed its first Planar video wall in a renovated public waiting area in 2009. The two new video walls were deployed in June to provide real-time flight information, tourism promotions and retail advertising to passengers in the newly renovated baggage claim area. One video wall consists of 21 Clarity Matrix LCD panels in a seven-wide-by-three-high (7 x 3) configuration. The other has 25 panels in a five-wide-by-five-high (5 x 5) configuration. In all, the two video walls provide more than 400 sq. ft. of digital signage space.
Standout features and capabilities that convinced Huntsville to once again choose Clarity Matrix include:
- Image quality. Clarity Matrix delivers 1366x768 resolution, 700-nit brightness and a 3000:1 contrast ratio. Despite high ambient light in Huntsville’s new baggage claim area, information on the video walls is clearly visible from as far away as 75 feet or even off to a side. A mere 7.3 millimeters separates the displays — much less than other LCD video walls — creating a nearly seamless image.
- Easy installation and service. Planar’s innovative EasyAxis™ Mounting System streamlines positioning and alignment of LCD panels, saving time and money for the customer and systems integrator. Further, EasyAxis provides front and rear access to all LCD panels. Routine service and maintenance can be performed without dismantling the video wall.
- Dependability. Huntsville installed the new video walls in an enclosed soffit above the baggage claim carousel. Planar’s off-board electronics design removes the electronics from behind the LCD panel, reducing heat that can cause damage and reduce the lifespan of the displays.
- Flexibility. The video walls can display a wide range of dynamic content — from video to photos, graphics to text — which airport staff can change quickly and easily at any time.
- Choice. Clarity Matrix is available in 46” (1366x768) and 55” (1920x1080 with LED backlight technology). Clarity Matrix is also available with ERO™, a protective glass front for increased ruggedness in public spaces. Clarity Matrix Touch™ provides a high-impact interactive video wall for collaborative environments.
Huntsville is among the growing number of airports choosing Planar's large-format digital signage displays to deliver critical information to travelers.
“Airports want versatile display technology that can provide passengers with flight status and other timely and useful information, and that can also be a good source of revenue,” said Jennifer Davis, vice president of marketing for Planar Systems. “Clarity Matrix continues to be the video wall system that helps Huntsville and other airports address these needs and it’s a big reason why we continue to earn both new and repeat business in this competitive marketplace.”
The new Clarity Matrix video walls were selected in late 2010, with the involvement of the airport’s systems integration partner, Norcross, Georgia-based Technical Innovation.